During the Summer Term of 2020, Horizons School partnered with coaches of Greater Level Training to present a virtual fitness program consisting of twice weekly chair exercises, guided yoga and stretching. The new format was in response to the global pandemic requiring social distancing. Seventeen Horizons students completed individual fitness assessments guided by faculty and coaches. Comparing data at the beginning and ending of nine weekly training sessions revealed positive results of virtual fitness sessions!
Students rated four items about chair fitness videos and live discussion with trainers using a 10-point scale. Mean scores between 7.0 and 9.0 (out of 10.0 possible points) revealed students’ satisfaction. Comments indicate their favorite aspects of virtual fitness classes:
- It helps with my posture.
- It was easy to understand.
- I like the stretching.
- Good exercises and good use of time.
- Having people to workout with and not being alone.
- The exercises were simple, and they got my heartbeat up. I like sharing highs and lows.
- Like yoga and breathing exercises.
- An encouraging atmosphere.
Students suggested as improvements:
- Increase the intensity
- Make them a little harder.
- Add intense exercises, such as abs and cardio
- Do more tree poses
Further, the majority of Horizons students noted desirable outcomes from the summertime fitness program:
- I lost some weight
- I gained muscle and became more flexible
- My mind and body felt like they had improved
- My posture is better
- My brain is functioning a little better even though I have other issues
- I’m more relaxed
- I have more energy and am more knowledgeable about fitness
- I feel balanced and am drinking more water
- My body changed from the stretching
Objective data was collected for five measures (right and left leg balance tests, 30-second chair stand, modified push-up test and curl-up test). Students’ mean scores improved during the nine weeks for 4 measures, specifically balance, push-ups and curl-ups. Results of a brief virtual fitness program are encouraging!
Questions? Contact Dr. Brian Geiger, Executive Director, email@example.com