The Horizons School offers individualized fee-based Contracting Services for alumni who need additional support for successful community living. Contracting Services are offered in five categories:
- Weekly Advising: self-determination, problem-solving, self esteem / self-realization, family roles and collaboration, student-initiated social outings
- Supported Employment: job search support, collaboration with workplace supervisors, evaluation of worker skills and behaviors, new hire paperwork, employee orientation, workplace accommodations, managing illness and personal leave, conflict mediation, crisis intervention, assistance to complete relevant career certifications
- Money Management: guiding student’s financial decision-making, budgeting, on-time bill payment, reviewing bank statements, savings, electronic and telephone banking, identity protection
- Supported Living: managing an organized, neat and clean apartment; personal care and wellness support, requesting residential accommodations, neighborhood and community safety, managing roommate concerns, reporting maintenance needs to management
- Functional Literacy: group and individualized learning sessions to improve skills for everyday reading, mathematics, self-care; individual testing accommodations; prepare for career certification testing
- Horizons Social Club: learn necessary skills to plan and implement social events; practice leadership and communication skills; work cooperatively to access the community during nights and weekends
Staff work with students and their families to select services based on individual needs. Contracting periods coincide with three academic trimesters (Fall, Spring and Summer). Families will receive a student progress report at the end of each trimester.
Contracting students may continue paid membership at the UAB Rec Center, enabling them to participate in fitness classes and supervised adventure outings. We encourage contracting students to continue membership in Hearts of Horizons Service Club.
We will be happy to plan a meeting or call about your student’s needs and guide your service selection. To discuss your needs and develop a services plan, please contact Shon Jackson at email@example.com or (205) 322-6606.